Sunday, 30 September 2012

Jewels of the Sea

I'm back from my hols in Wales with Fern and my mates. So pull up a seat and grab a cuppa for a trip round the valleys and a preview of my up and coming work.
We stayed in a little cottage, just 15mins  walk from Black Rock Sands. It's a huge expanse of sea, sky, sand and moody mountains.



This is what strikes me most about Wales is the imposing landscape of mountains closing in around you and the changeable weather. One minute it's sunny, the next the mists roll in and the skies darken ominously.


Still we enjoyed ourselves





We went to Portmerion again, which is such a contrast, a very surreal, ice cream coloured fantasy land plonked into the broody coast of Portmadog












 
In the 1960's The Prisoner series was filmed here, a series that still resonates today with it's lead character fighting to preserve his independence and identity from a state seeking to control and monitor it's citizens every move. 
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own."


We also travelled in style on a steam train through the valleys, passing Snowdon and into Camarthon.






Finally we coped lucky with some sun and did a lot of serious shell collecting.



Check out my facebook for some more photos of our trip.
And here's what I'm working on with my shell and pebble booty.


Check that great bead focal from Numinosity.





The most amazing worm cast mother of pearl.




Lovely big cockle shell and smooth charcoal pebble.



Gorgeous chunk of quartz bound with cream wire and a pebble with lovely surface detail also bound to a gold plated wire frame.
So hopefully I haven't bored you too much and I hope you've also had the opportunity to have been travelling. Nothing beats a break to refresh and revive and inspire. Let me know your holiday recommendations too. x

8 comments:

  1. We just returned from the coast of California and it was brooding and overcast as well. Love looking at your creations as I have buckets of beach booty as well. The worm cast piece is beautiful as are they all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo ... beautiful!!! wales is so beautiful! love that little quaint village too :) and i see that you are definitely not lacking of inspiration after that wonderfully picturesque trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see Wales, I have seen pictures of Snowdon, very beautiful. Actually, I would love to see all of your island. So far I've only been to London and Edinburgh :) Lovely pieces, the red one is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joyful post full of smiles and beauty. I love how you're incorporating your finds and super how you used that bead too. How I would love to visit that neck of the woods. One day I know I will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, and what lovely places you have been too, thank you for sharing them here. The first picture of you and your daughter and then her sitting on the train just kill me. Can't wait to see these new things listed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous pictures of Wales - seems like you had a wonderful break - the two of you together!
    Lovely jewellery created from your beach collections too!
    Thanks for coming to visit and enjoying some of my new work.
    Hugs to you,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete